Monday, February 20, 2012

What I've been up to lately

Hello there, World!
It's been a few months since my last post. I was feeling overwhelmed with my lifestyle change so much that I was uninspired to blog about it. It's been 3 months, and I've  still been eating healthy, and exercising regularly. I have noticed small changes but nothing drastic. My home cooked foods have been improving in the sense that I cook a lot more than before.

I've also enrolled in IIN, which for those of you who don't know, is the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. I'm doing a distance education program, since they're based out of New York City. I think that is the main reason I haven't been blogging. I have been trying to focus on the program a lot and cut out some of the distraction that help me to procrastinate :P

But since I cant deny the love I have for blogging, I found myself inclined to write recipes of the food I've been eating each day as well as some of the workouts I've been doing.

 I slept in this morning since I had a busy weekend and had gone to Wildplay the day before with 3 of my girlfriend. Wildplay is basically like an obstacle course in the tree tops, with zip lines and platforms with obstacles in between the trees. It was really cool. Some parts you are like 60 feet up in the trees. It's pretty awesome, but really physical. If you have been contemplating going but haven't gone, GO! You will love it.



So I got out of bed and made myself a kale and blueberry smoothie. To be honest, it was my first time experimenting with kale, and I didn't love the stuff. I found my smoothie rather chunky and hard to swallow without gaging. Yesterday I signed up for Deepak Chopras free 21 day meditation challenge. I was really excited to get my first meditation email since meditation has been something I've wanted to get in to for a while. I saw it in my inbox, but decided it would be easier to relax once I had gone to the gym.

So off I went, for chest and triceps day. It was all good, except my yoga teacher was late and wasn't the girl that usually teaches. I tried to convince myself to enjoy it, and to embrace the adversity, but her class was pretty boring and was really hard on my back. I left half way through and did some cardio on the treadmill. I left the gym and came home.

I turned on the meditation challenge and laid on the floor with a warm blanket over me. I listened to the tap and followed the incredibly easy instructions. The tape was 16 minutes long but seemed to be much shorter. Before I knew it time was up. I felt as though time had stopped. It was a nice feeling. I went an poured myself a bath. When I got out I made myself a peanut butter banana sandwich on ancient grain bread. IT was so drippy and delicious.

I listened to a school lecture and took some notes.

I did the huuuge mound of dishes Greg and I had acquired over the weekend.

Greg came home from work, and I was giddy as a school girl to catch up on the 5 episodes we had missed of my latest obsession 'The Walking Dead'. We decided to make Thai Fish Curry for dinner. I was skeptical about it since it was from a jar, and I still felt it was much too sweet and not spicy enough. We made it with halibut Greg got from the summer that needed to be used. We also had whole grain naan bread, and fresh tzaziki. I added some peppers, put it on brown rice, garnished with toasted cashews, and a sprig of cilantro. It was just right.




There is a recipe I took from those free little magazines at Thrifty Foods, that Greg and I were dying to make. It is a banana, rolled up in a flour tortilla, brushed with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, then baked in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. When it comes out you drizzle melted chocolate over it and garnish it with toasted peanuts. It was UH-MAY-ZING.



(We had to use ancient grain tortillas, as we had no white flour tortillas, but they were still good!)

I also had a couple pre-made pie crusts in the fridge that needed to be used, so I whipped up a strawberry rhubarb crumble. It only took a couple of minutes and smelled so so good while it was cooking.



Tomorrow I will make a lemon meringue pie with the other crust.

Over the last month, I read 'The Omnivores Dilemna', by Michael Pollan, which I found to be a good, easy read. He does a great job of documenting his journey through the North American food system. A lot of the point he made were valid and I enjoyed reading it.  I recently checked 'In the Defence of Food' out of the library and can't wait to read it, in between 'The Fellowship of the Ring', of course.

I also went to a Canucks hockey game with my girl Sarah. We won 4-2. It was one of the best days in a long time.








A friend of mine, Daniel Cutler, recently published as article of mine, about why you shouldn't buy bottled water, on a website he is working on. Check it out here.

I also recently lopped all my hair off, Thanks to my amazing hairdresser friend, Megan. If it wasn't for her I would never ever have gone out my comfort zone, and I'm so glad I did.


Other than that, not much is new. Greg and I have been thinking about perhaps a road trip this summer. We are looking forward to Mexico in the next month. It will be my first family vacation and I couldn't be more excited. Anyways, hope everyone had a great start to the week. I definitely did and I feel good to be back blogging.
Thanks for reading,
Take care,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment