Monday, November 7, 2011

Operation Preparation: The Shop

My boyfriend, Greg, left to go visit his Mother in Kamloops on Saturday. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to do a healthy grocery shop, since he wouldn't be around to put oreos, ice cream, and frozen pizza into the cart. The fact that he is gone all this week will definitely help me in the eating department.

So Sunday I went grocery shopping. I was kind of confused by a lot of things, like almond butter. There seemed to be like 6 different types. Unsweetened, raw, unstirred, chocolate, I had no idea what to get! Eventually I made up my mind and went with The Unsweetened. It has a very strange taste but I don't not like it.

Also, protein powder. I avoided going to a gym on purpose for fear that a huge burly man would sell me what he was using. I found a type that looked good. I think its called WheyNatural. Its gluten free, all natural, vanilla, and I actually like the (WHEY) it tastes. No pun intended.

And another thing. Almond milk? So many different types. Oats? Old fashioned, or cooks in 3 minutes?
Looks like there is a lot to learn about in the grocery section. This is what I got for about $160

tilapia fillets
prawns
chicken breast
protein powder
roma tomatoes
ancient grain whole grain tortillas
green grapes
pomegranate juice
egg whites in a carton
every colour of bell pepper
baby carrots
Asian vegetable medley
almond butter
kashi granola bars
pickles
multi grain bread
brown long grain rice
potatoes
rice cakes
puffins cereal
organic sugar
spring mix
granny smith apples
grapefruit
cucumber
bananas
pomegranates
almond milk
tomato paste
tomato sauce
chickpeas
beans
chiles
coconut milk
yogurt
avocado
broccoli
raw almonds
shake n bake
old fashioned oats
quinoa
edamame
flax seed oil

There were a couple things on my list like low fat cheese, low fat sour cream, and natural peanut butter but I didn't want to waste what I have left of the regular stuff so I'm gonna wait until its all gone.

When I came home I did some food prep. I cut up all the bell peppers and some onion into a big mix so its easy to put in omelets, salads, sandwiches or even just to snack on. I also made some fresh salsa that is so much healthier than the artichoke and asiago dip calling my name in the fridge.
I also made myself a kick ass quesadilla for dinner with chicken and beans and corn and of course, the fresh salsa. I had to have something healthy to kick start my first day tomorrow! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment